What I Read This Week: February 25, 2018


I'm sad that the Olympic closing ceremony is tonight. I truly enjoy getting to watch all sorts of sports for two weeks. (You better believe I was all over the curling and US women's hockey.) I guess I will have to go back to watching regular Capitals hockey to get me through the rest of winter.

In other news, we had a leak in our library stacks back in December. It took several weeks, but the books from the incident finally came back from the recovery vendor. I spent much of this week reviewing them. I learned a lot of hands on science about how water affects different kinds of paper and binding. Most of the books, luckily, are already being reshelved. A couple poor souls will need to be released. Not much you can do about a book that refuses to close because the paper is permanently swollen.

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, February 2018 - I skimmed the majority of this issue, but I did like the collection of online presidential research resources. You can never have too many options for research tools.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, March 2018 - Sometimes, the articles in this magazine are not directed at me. There was a piece on time-saving beauty hacks. Those would be useful if I actually wore makeup. I'm about as streamlined as you can get already. Aside from that, I did enjoy the article about different ways you can calm yourself during times of anxiety as well as the piece about beauty products based on the benefits found in plants. Finally, the article on how to raise a responsible drinker is probably something everyone needs to read.
    • National Geographic, March 2018 - In the continuing series of articles devoted to our feathered friends, this issue opened with a story about long-haul bird migrations. It's amazing just how far some birds travel between their breeding grounds and feeding areas. This issue also had an incredibly important story about how climate change is negatively impacting lakes around the world. Inland lakes are becoming saltier or drying up all together. This forces people and industries to moves and has huge repercussions for wildlife. Finally, there was a fun little bit about when life became complicated. Our complex systems and brains seemed to kick in during the Cambrian era and life has never looked back.
  • Books
    • I couldn't sleep Sunday night (that's what I get for taking a nap in the afternoon), but that meant I read over 100 pages of The Story of The Lost Child in that reading session alone. Dare I say I might finish this book in the next few days?

Comments