What I Read This Week: January 28, 2018

I am very pleased with myself. I got a large "to do" off my work list. Said "to do" is going to lead to even more "to do"s but at least it's a start to creating our in-house digitization program. There's so much left to work out and create, but I'm happy that I am at least making progress in this area.

I'm also checking stuff off my personal to do list. I tailored my bullet journal to be a bit more action oriented in its layout. Last year, I just wrote my big goals at the front of my journal. I rarely checked-in or followed-up. This year, I'm putting steps to accomplish these goals in a special section of my monthly to do list page. So far, I think it's working for me. It's only a month in to the year and I am already making some headway. Here's hoping I can keep up the momentum.
  • Work
    • I started reading Developing Library Leaders. So far, this is your basic "how to" leadership manual with a spin focusing on the information/library sector. Nothing ground-breaking yet, but I always like reading about this kind of stuff.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, February 2018 - I flipped through this issue much faster than normal. I was not skipping any content, I just think the articles were generally shorter and faster to read. I enjoyed reading the story about to handle bedtimes for the various stages of kid-dom. It reminded me of a few tricks my folks tried on me. I also LOVED the article discussing what your skin really needs. Skincare is important but it's also incredibly trendy right now. I keep getting bombared with stories about how I need serums and masques and creams and lotions and mists and on and on. It was nice to read that my pared-down skin care regime is just right.
    • National Geographic, January 2018 - In an attempt to keep
      up with my magazines as they arrive, I squeezed in some extra reading time to finish this issue since the new issue arrived. This was a much faster read than normal because a lot of pages were devoted to the cover story on the importance of birds. It was mainly pretty pictures which is okay by me. This is going to be a year longs series and I'm looking forward to learning more about these warblers and waders. There was also a story looking at how the FARC gorillas for Columbia are reintegrating back into society. It seemed a bit odd of a piece for Nat Geo, but it was well written. Finally, I thought the story on the science of good and evil was fantastic. It looks at the brain science behind what makes a person willing to risk their own life for a stranger versus what makes a person a psychopath. Absolutely fascinating.
  • Books
    • I'm currently reading Branding: A Very Short Introduction by Robert Jones. The writing is quite approachable. I thought this would be a touch more dense considering it's intended for an academic audience.

Comments