What I Read This Week: January 21, 2018

When I look back on this week, nothing that special really comes to mind. Have you ever had that happen? You just look back at how your life has been recently and all you can think of is, "Well, that was just, you know, a few days." I find those days of nothing to be odd. They just feel like time has passed and that's it. Oh well. At least I get to have a fun friend brunch today to end this week. It's always nice when you have something special to look forward to.

  • Work
    • Guess what I finally finished reading? Digital Imaging: A Practical Handbook. You know... that book I started in July. Last year. It wasn't a particularly long or difficult book, I just was forced to read it in brief snippets around my usual work activities. The content is rather outdated at this point, but the general concepts of digitization and digitization projects still holds true.
  • Magazines
    • Food Network, January/February 2018 - For a two month issue, this was pretty slim. That's okay. I still liked the article that talked about what foods are going to be trending this year.
      I also liked the muffin-a-month feature. I don't make muffins that often, but several of these recipes looked tempting. I thought it was hilarious that the opening editor's note brought the often debated issue of the difference between muffins and cupcakes. Frosting seems to be the deciding factor. 
    • The Atlantic, January/February 2018 - The cover of this issue seems rather menacing to me. I assume that was a purposeful editorial decision. The cover story on Putin was rather enlightening. I knew, generally, what Putin's deal was, but this article fleshed it out a lot more to me. I did learn the ramifications of having nothing but the "old guard" ruling in Russia. Spoiler alert: It doesn't look like it will end well. Beyond the cover story, my favorite piece was about the effort to exonerate a man who is behind bars for robbery and murder. The facts show that he's likely not the perpetrator, but there is no DNA evidence to exonerate him. It's a sad story and one that will really make you think about the criminal investigation and justice system. Finally, I just sort of shuddered my way through the story about Mike Pence. The fact that Pence seems to truly believe that god has a plan to make him president just makes me feel wrong.
  • Books
    • I finished reading Signs of Hope. It was a great book because it made me feel uplifted when current events were getting me down.
    • I am now reading Branding: A Very Short Introduction. This isn't exactly a great bedtime reading book, so I might need to add something more interesting into my daily rotation. I'm basically read this because I think the information might be useful.

Comments