What I Read This Week: December 3, 2017

How in the heck is it December already? Oh well. The Husband and I decorated our apartment and I love how it shines. Nothing makes me happy like holiday sparkle.

You know what else makes me happy? Feeling incredibly accomplished in my reading. It was a sort of crazy week at work, those first days back from a holiday always are, but I still managed to get a lot of reading done. (*ignores massive backlog in Feedly*)


  • Magazines
    • Washingtonian, October 2017 - I've managed to catch up to most of my magazine backlog... except for the issues of Washingtonian. Hopefully I'll get there before the end of the year. This issue had a nice look at the Shenandoah area. I love leaf peeping there but perhaps I'll try a few more of the sights they highlight. There was also an article on the downfall of Gifford's ice cream. Apparently, it's hugely nostalgic for a lot of people but the story behind it something more dramatic. Finally, I liked the article on Ed Gillespie, I just wish I had read it before the VA election. Still good, but spoiler alert!
    • HGTV Magazine, December 2017 - I thought this would be a straight up catalog issues for gift ideas and holiday decor. I
      was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed two articles. The first was on how to care for live Christmas trees and the second offered ideas about what to hang above a sofa. Useful tips!
    • Food Network, December 2017 - This was the catalog issue! There were tons of gift ideas for foodies, but I mainly enjoyed the list of cookies. I do so love seeing new options for cooking baking and making.
    • National Geographic, December 2017 - The cover story about the quest for the real Jesus brought me back to a class I took in college. The main news in the story was not novel to me, but it was cool to see how archaeology can back up biblical stories. My favorite article in this issue was another
      dispatch from the walk out of Africa. This one focused on the silk road. It was very interesting to read how what we tend to think the silk road is (a single path full of camels, silk, and spices) is more a network of roads through desserts and mountains. Also, there might be jinn. Finally, the article on jaguars was okay, but the pictures were delightful.
  • Books
    • I finished up The Hate U Give early in the week. It might be the best book I've read all year. I was with the characters and their story from the start and you better believe I'll be seeing the movie when it comes out. This book is the perfect example for why we need diverse books. Read it!
    • I started reading Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass. It's a series of short stories set in the world of her Selection series. This anthology includes art and that makes me giddy. I got the two other books related to this world and I am so happy I get to finish out the year with these books.

Comments