Book 27: The Selection

TITLE: The Selection
AUTHOR: Kiera Cass
STARTED: October 22, 2017
FINISHED: October 26, 2017
PAGES: 327
GENRE: Young Adult

FIRST SENTENCE:When we got the letter in the post, my mother was ecstatic.

SUMMARY: [From BN] For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

THOUGHTS: I read this book over a month ago and I still can't get it's addictiveness out of my mind. As soon as I finished my first dive into this book, I immediately the put the rest of the series on my holds request list a the library.

Here's the thing. This book (and the series) is not actually that good. The story is, essentially, a mash up of The Hunger Games (minus the gore) and The Bachelor. It's a high-drama, decently paced story with okay writing. Nothing about this is a recipe, in my mind, for a great book. But I simply couldn't put it down. I just had to see where the story went and it didn't matter if I had to read until 3am on a work night to get there.

I was all in from the first few pages. I wanted to know these characters, I wanted to see where their decisions took the story, I didn't care that the teenage dramatics annoyed me. I simply had to know what was next.

So, read this series if you want something highly addictive. It's not a great series, but it is a damn well enjoyable one.

RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments