What I Read This Week: November 19, 2017

All I wanted to do this week was sleep. Well, sleep and continue to figure out what random things I can cut out of my daily life. I deleted yet more blogs from my reader, unsubscribed from several email newsletters, and started thinking about what to weed from my stuff during my annual holiday apartment purge. I've been on this kick to simplify things so that I can focus on the new things that matter in my life. So, lots of purging... but lots of yawning as well. I was in bed before 10:30pm most nights. I blame the time change.

In other news, The Husband and I flew to his folks place in Texas yesterday for the Thanksgiving holiday. We're going zip-lining today. Wheeeeeeee!

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, October 2017 - Meh. There was really nothing in this issue that caught my eye.
    • College and Research Libraries News, November 2017 - Now this is more like it! This was a great issue. I particularly liked the two stories that focused on fake news. I also though the piece on how to have better signage was quite relevant to my needs. Our library is constantly looking for a way to make our signage more useful. We may have to try a few of these ideas.
    • American Libraries, November/December 2017 - In a timely piece, there was a brief article about how to protect library staff from sexual harassment by patrons. Another piece discussed the impact of hurricanes Harvey and Irma had on libraries. People always come first, but people also need to community place to turn to when things are bad. Libraries struggle to get back up and running to offer services to patrons who desperately need access to facilities that help them apply to federal recovery programs, call their insurance companies, etc.... and there's always mold. I loved that the article listed a few ways you can help (hint... don't send books). Finally, the cover story on the badass librarians of Jeopardy was just awesome. There is a reason you always want a librarian on your bar trivia team.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, November 2017 - Thanksgiving issues of food magazines are my favorite. Thanksgiving issues that also happen to be anniversary issues are even better! This was a fantastic read. I loved the section that showcased the most highly rated recipes in the magazines history. I also loved the healthy eating tips. But, most of all, I loved the section devoted to Thanksgiving sides. Turkey is good, but I adore the sides. I've been known to make leftover plates composed of nothing but sides. (I can't wait for Thursday...)
    • Cooking Light, December 2017 - I was hoping for more cookie recipes (I'm looking to change things up a bit) but this was, nontheless, a good issue. I greatly enjoyed the gift guide that mixed homemade recipes with other, commercial purchases. This issue also included a list of giftable cookbooks. Finally, I loved the feature store on recipes with roots. Each recipe came with a family history and fun facts. It was great to see what each meal item meant to the author. 
    • National Geographic, November 2017 - The cover story about happiness was nice, but I preferred reading the feature story on why vaccines matter. There might be a (stupid) debate in this country about the value of vaccines, but other, more needy nations around the world understand their importance. This article showcases just why medical science is important, needs to be followed, and worth sharing around the world. Finally, I also really liked the story that followed an expedition as they mapped the Okavango delta.
  • Books
    • While we are in Texas for Thanksgiving, I am going to try my hardest to finish reading Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay. I've already given my mother-in-law the first two books in the series, but I want to finish book three before we leave. I don't know if I'll succeed, but the plane ride here helped me put a dent in the book.

Comments