What I Read This Week: October 22, 2017

Welcome to a post-readathon edition of What I Read This Week. I had a pretty crazy week at work (particularly at the end of the week), so yesterday's readathon was just the thing I needed to recuperate. Getting to cozy up on the couch with a book while nibbling snacks is just my idea of awesome. The Husband was a star too because he took care of the grocery shopping, chores around the apartment, and flipping the channel back-and-forth between sporting events for us. I heart him.

  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, October 2017 - This was a hard issue to read because it was so in your face and unapologetic about what Trump means about our country. I am specifically referring to Ta-Nehisi Coates article on "The First White President." That should be required reading for everyone. It's hard to confront as a white woman, but it speaks truths we can't ignore. The other two stories about how Trump is, frankly, ruining things in this country just makes me sad. In addition to those pieces, the story of why people cheat was not as eye-opening as I thought it would be. I guess I sort of knew all along that women cheat because they so often carry the emotional burden of others that they seek outlets just for themselves.
  • Books
    • Everything on the list below I finished reading yesterday during the readathon. I feel so accomplished.
      • The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante
      • The Night World by Mordicai Gerstein
      • The Geometry of Pasta by Caz Hildebrand and Jacob Kenedy
      • The Fever by Megan Abbott
This readathon was heavy on bigger books but I still managed to finish 4 titles which totaled 991 pages. I donate 5 cents for every page I read to First Book so I'll be sending in my$49.55 soon. Actually, make that $50. Every cent helps!

Comments