What I Read This Week: August 27, 2017

I had so many meetings this week that I honestly thought Friday was Wednesday. It's very rare that my week gets stacked with meetings so, when it does, it really throws off my mental schedule. On the upside, however, I end up being super productive because I hyper focus during that time I have between meetings. I was shocked by just how many things I was able to accomplish this week. Huzzah!

Also, the weather took a turn for the gorgeous this week. I spent most of my lunch time walking around campus just to enjoy the sunshine and cool breezes. I cannot wait for fall to get here... bring on the scarfs!

  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, September 2017 - This issue was notable for two reasons. First, the magazine has a completely new look in terms of layout and design. I liked it! There is more white space, recipes are organized better, and it's a generally cleaner and fresher look. Second, they've added new columnists whose content I enjoyed. In terms of feature articles, I liked the pieces on snacking and eating as a family. Finally, I might have saved over half of the recipes to try later. Great issue!
    • Washingtonian, September 2017 - The cover story was about the best new restaurants. I was underwhelmed. It was short and not much was detailed about the restaurants or their menu. There were two pieces, however, that I really liked in this
      issue. The first was on local newscaster Jim Vance. He passed away recently, but his impact on the area was great so it was nice to read a retrospective. The second piece was about two dads who walked around the DC Beltway. That was a great story because it gave such insights to what lies just off the main path.
  • Books
    • I think I'm making decent progress in Feral considering it is a non-fiction book. The writing is fantastic and I get the point the author is making but, so far, his thesis is subtle. I hope there is a call to action before the final chapter.

Comments