What I Read This Week: June 4, 2017

One of the aspects of librarianship that I think many people overlook is how physical the job can be. We are relocating our music library branch into our main library. While I'm done heaving books and boxes about, I've moved onto the planning stage which, somehow, involves lots of squats. Lots and lots of squats. That's what I get for measuring shelves and writing down call numbers.

At least it gives me an excuse to eat ice cream.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, May 2017 - The cover was all about makeovers... but there was only one makeover in this issue. Hmm. Anyway. I enjoyed the useful information in the articles on delegating and medical tests, but my favorite piece in this issue was the story about how a woman remembers her father through dance. It brought a few tears to my eyes. I also saved a couple of tasty looking recipes from the food section. 
    • Real Simple, June 2017 - These issue had two major articles that I found useful. The first was on how to finally stop procrastinating and finish things that have been on your to do list for awhile. While the article lack broad tips, I did like that it gave specific examples of how to complete tasks. The second article was about how to be more mindful and healthy with your "me" time. As someone who loves to veg with a
      snack and bad TV, this piece was talking to me.
    • The Atlantic, June 2017 - This issue is well worth the time it takes to read it cover to cover. All of the feature articles and most of the small stories are just fantastic. The cover story called "My Families Slave" was eye-opening and had me in tears by the end. The story on children who are born as psychopaths was a whole new take on brain and behavioral science for me. The feature story on Richard Spencer, the alt-right leader, just made me want to punch things... but in a very understandable way. Finally, the piece on Akan Eustace and his jump for the edge of space was a great adventure story.
    • Washingtonian, March 2017 - I am so far behind in my
      backlogs of this magazine that I was ecstatic I managed to finish one issue this week. The cover story on great places to work in DC was fine, but I did like the prep piece on workplace trends. I also enjoyed the article on how to become a great D.C. United fan. The most surprising story in this issue was about Bobby Charles Thompson, a man who conned thousands for a fake charity while working under a stolen identity while claiming to be under deep cover for the CIA. Phew! Was that a mouthful to get out.
  • Books
    • I started reading Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple. I can't remember why this book ended up on my TBR list, but so far I'm glad it did. I'm not entirely in love with the main character, but I don't think I'm supposed to be. The story is good despite my misgivings.
  • Other

Comments