What I Read This Week: June 25, 2017

The movers we hired to help us relocate one of our branch library collections into the main library started this week. This is the last branch library closure I will have to manage. (Huzzah!) This has been the most complicated relocation and I am so happy it looks like we will finish on time. My project management skills may have grown through all of these relocations, but I am SO SO happy that my department gets to focus on other things now.

In happier news, Lady B and I treated ourselves to facials on Tuesday. It was a wonderful mid-week treat but I always have a hard time not petting my own face afterwards.

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, May 2017 - This week, I took some time to clear off all of the professional reading that has accumulated on my desk. I thought I was going to breeze through this issue, but I thought the story on engaging students with whiteboards was very relevant. We have whiteboards throughout our library, so I liked the new ideas of how we might use them.
    • College and Research Libraries News, June 2017 - This issue opened with a story about how libraries can support refugees and asylum piece. It's an important and, unfortunately, necessary piece for today. In happier news, I'm jealous of the Penn State library's 3D printing program... mainly because there was a photo of a printed t-rex skull in the article. It looked so cool!
    • American Libraries, May 2017 - The Trends story in this issue was all about inclusion. I am so glad that libraries still scream from the mountaintop "All are welcome here!" There was also a great article about adding libraries to public housing developments. I love that kind of outreach. The bulk of this issue was devoted to the annual systems report and tech trends. I love seeing all the new things that come out each year and how libraries choose to take advantage of innovation. Finally, AL did something (new to me) in this issue - they highlighted notable dissertations from library science students. That was really cool!
    • American Libraries, June 2017 - This issue was focused mainly on the ALA annual conference. (One of these days I will get to attend!) My favorite article in this issue highlighted the brave souls who desegregated the libraries in the American South. I also liked the piece of mindful librarianship.
  • Magazines
    • Washingtonian, May 2017 - This issue exemplified why I decided to subscribe to this magazine. It has fantastic local human interest stories (when flooding hit the Greenbrier resort area), it gave me ideas of things to do (Virginia wineries), and I learned a bit of DC area history that was new to me (the baseball misfits). Now I just have to read one more of these issues before I am fully caught up on my backlog. Woot!
    • National Geographic, July 2017 - I was lucky enough to read the majority of this issue in one setting. That was great because I was able to see how climate change was affecting the antarctic and then see all the beautiful pictures of what
      wildlife and ecosystems we could lose. Then, I got to read a great story about a man who risks his life to harvest psychotropic honey. That's not your average beekeeping job. Finally, there was a great story about hummingbirds which included some stunning photography.
  • Books
    • I'm nearly done reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's a good book but this story on top of my work stress has given me very odd dreams.
  • Other

Comments