Book 9: The Woman in Cabin 10

TITLE: The Woman in Cabin 10
AUTHOR: Ruth Ware
STARTED: April 29, 2017
FINISHED: May 3, 2017
PAGES: 341
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: In my dream, the girl was drifting, far, far below the crashing waves and the cries of the gulls in the cold, sunless depths of the North Sea.

SUMMARY: [From BN]

THOUGHTS: I haven't read a thriller in years. Many many years. I tossed this book on to my TBR list after reading a review that piqued my interest. I am so glad I did that because this was a fun book to read. I started it at the end of readathon and stayed up past my usual stop time because I was that absorbed in to the story.

I can't review this book, plot-wise without giving stuff away. (I'm not good at being spoiler free.) But I can tell you that the characters are well-written and I love how everyone in the story interacts. Some of the motivation was a touch hard to believe but not enough for me to be taken out of the story. For some reason, this book reminded me of a stage-play in terms of how everything works together.

In terms of writing, Ware manages to give just enough detail to set the scene and create tension without overdoing it. There was not a lot of excess material to the text and I don't remember a single, unnecessary paragraph of infodumping. The story flows nicely with enough tension and slacktime to be well-paced.

While this is far from high-literature or the best book I've read, it's definitely a great summer or beach read.

RATING:7/10 [Very Good]

Comments