What I Read This Week: May 14, 2017

My hockey team lost in Game 7. It rained a lot at the end of the week and I got soaked. Work was kind of crazy. One of my favorite coworkers is leaving. Can I hibernate for a few hours?

That said, it wasn't all bad this week. I got to try some new recipes (I even made buttermilk rolls from scratch) and they were fairly tasty. Another book I placed on hold at the library came in. The Husband and I successfully adulted with all of our errands. And... I get to call my mommy today. That's always a good thing.

It's all about balance.

  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, May 2017 - The cover story of this issue was fine. It was an interesting read, but I thought the associated story on how smugness might have fueled trump's rise was far more important. Additionally, I thought the article on how online shopping is bringing back pricing wars might be worth exploring further. Finally, the article on how incentives are tricking people into saving money introduced me to something I had never seen before.
  • Books
    • I finished The Truth About Alice in the middle of the week. I love how fast young adult books seem to go. 
    • On Friday, my most recent library hold Dear Data came in. I'm only a few pages in, but I kind of love this book already.
  • Other
    • Buzzfeed posted a great read on what it's like to trek to the Everest base camp. The article doesn't idealize the hike, it shows the harsh (and often gross) reality of what it's like to be at altitude. This piece is not for the squeamish. 
    • It's Mother's Day, so I definitely have to recommend this NYT article on mother's before they became moms.

Comments