What I Read This Week: April 30, 2017

This was one of those weeks that just drains you. There was a lot going on at work and the dreary weather at the start of the week did not help my mood. Thank goodness I had yesterday's readathon to look forward to. Sure it keeps me from my usual Saturday sleeping-in, but I love having the excuse to read all day. It's rather healing to my soul right now.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, April 2017 - Cyborgs and robotics are not my favorite subjects, but the cover story on the interaction between human and machine was really interesting. It speaks to the science need to advance as a species. In this issue, I also enjoyed the articles on what was like surviving under ISIS and the grass-eating monkeys of Africa. The spread on climate change facts was just depressing because I don't see humanity doing anything about it any time soon.
  • Books
    • Readathon was yesterday. Here are the books I managed to finish before I went to bed:
      • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (Finally!)
      • Bake It, Don't Fake It! by Heather Bertinetti
      • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
      • 365: No Repeats by Rachael Ray
    • I also managed to put a very big dent in The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.
  • Other
    • I read a lot of stories about the March for Science, but one of my favorites was this WaPo piece on Bill Nye. Bill! Bill! Bill!
    • Article club was this week! We skipped our last meeting so we had two articles to discuss. The article for March was about busyness as a status symbol and the article for April was about millennial co-living spaces.
    • I'm trying to clean out the backlog of articles I've emailed to myself. I managed to get through quite a few this week and these are the ones I found the most intriguing:

Comments