What I Read This Week: March 5, 2017

I declare this the week of productivity. I knocked every task off my work to do lists, every task off my home to do list, AND I put a massive dent in my magazine reading back log. I still have a chunk to get through, but I hope to be caught up by the end of March.
  • Work
    • American Libraries, March/April 2017 - There was an important article in this issue about how libraries can (and should) fight fake news. Rather relevant for these times don't you think? In the same vein, the cover story was about where libraries find themselves in this current social landscape and what that means for our future. Finally, there was also a nice story about therapy dogs in libraries. Puppies are always welcome!
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, December 2016 - This magazine has been sitting around in my TBR pile for quite some time. I am so glad I finally got to read it because it was fantastic! I pulled so
      many recipes to try later because they were different and they all looked so good. On top of the tasty food, there were a few great articles. The first was about how to put together a winning cheese plate. And, to go with that, there were a bunch of holiday recipes. Finally, there was a sweet peace about Dorie Greenspan baking cookies with her son.
    • Cooking Light, January/February 2017 - Cooking Light is on a roll! This was another great issue. I saved several more recipes to try. I also liked the long article about eating for your body. Those pieces always come out this time of year, but this piece included some ideas which were new to me. I particularly liked that they mentioned how to eat clean, eat for immunity, and eat
      for detox - all of which went beyond the usual healthful eating habits.
    • Cooking Light, March 2017 - This issue was all about breakfast. My favorite! I could eat eggs and bacon and casseroles and really any other breakfasty/brunch dish everyday all day. They really are my favorite noms. Aside from drooling at all the recipes, this issue was a quick flip through for me. None of the articles jumped out at me.
    • The Atlantic, March 2017 - The cover story in this issue was simply terrifying. I say that because the Trump administration has already made several moves specified in the article. I well and truly fear where we are headed. Aside from that scartastic
      piece, the story about the American who has (possibly) become a high-up member of ISIS was utterly fascinating. The author did an incredible job tracking down and sharing information. Finally, the stories about the Hollywood blacklist (for scripts) and Megyn Kelly are both worth a read.
  • Books
    • I finally finished the academic essay that starts off the edition of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I'm reading. I finally get to start the actual story. Huzzah!
  • Other
    • Article Club met this week and we had a brief discussion about a Buzzfeed tiny houses article.
    • Last year, The Husband and I vacationed in France. We visited the town of Albi and found it to be utterly charming. When the NYT posted this story, I was surprised to learn that the "Frenchness" of this town (and others) is disappearing. 

Comments