Why I Love... A Fresh Start

It's a brand new year! You know what that means... it's a fresh start on reading. I love when the new year rolls around because it means a new reading tracking sheet, a fresh reading list in my bullet journal, and a whole new host of books to read.

A few years ago, I gave up making reading resolutions. I found that I was too focused on numbers and it really subtracted from the pleasurable side of reading. I would pick books I knew I could speed read through just to pad my yearly totals. Now, I tell myself it's okay to read whatever strikes my fancy. My numbers of books read each year has dropped precipitously, but I enjoy what I am reading much more.

What I love most about each new year is that I get a fresh start to find something new. I scroll through my TBR lists (I have one on Pinterest, one in excel - that needs a major overhaul, and a mental list) and the "best of" lists that always come out around the holidays. I add anything that looks good to my TBR pile, and then I hit the library (or a bookstore if one of my favorite authors has something out). I start off the new year with a great slate of reading options and then I grab whatever looks good to me in the moment.

New year. New books. All is right in my world.

If you inhale, you can almost smell the crisp, clean pages.

Comments