What I Read This Week: May 29, 2016

The sun came back! It didn't make an appearance every day, but there was sun and it was most excellent to have it back. Since I need to use a shload of vacation days by August 15, this was also a short work week for me. I was so productive with my at home to do list that I might need to start adding more items to it if I want to make it through the summer. One can only lounge and loaf so much.

  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, May 2016 - This was a lovely little issue that shared articles about libraries and the arts. More specifically, about how the library can work with art departments and art students. We have a lot of open walls in our building... and we have an art department... hmm...
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, June 2016 - I *heart* reading about organization, but I felt like the tips offered in this issue were nothing new. Then again, that could be because our closets are in decent shape so I can't exactly implement any of the
      systems. I enjoyed the gift recommendations since I always seem to have people in my life who are hard to shop for. Finally, there were some tasty looking sandwiches in the food section.
    • Washingtonian, June 2016 - Oh man, now I have a whole 'nother list of places I need to visit and eat at. Thanks "Best of" list! There was also a rather interesting piece on John Hinckley. I complete forgot that he lived in DC.
    • National Geographic, June 2016 - I have a thing for all things ancient Egypt, so the story on stolen antiquities was right up my alley. It's so infuriating that the illegal antiquity trade is so hard to follow and stop. It's even more infuriating that the funds from these illegal sales tend to support the most heinous of crimes. The
      three other feature stories on sharks, Peru's national forest tribes, and the return of civic life to Juarez were all very good. Come for the reading, stay for the shark pictures!
  • Books
    • I wrapped up the final few pages of Jessica Valenti's The Purity Myth. You can read my complete review here.
    • On my nightstand now is Orchard House by Tara Austen Weaver. I've always loved Weaver's writing style, and this book is turning out to just as rich and absorbing as I imagined. It even has me jonesing to garden. Too bad I live in a 5th floor apartment.
  • Other
    • Article Club met this week. We read two pieces on how companies retain female employees. Spoiler alert: Treat them appropriately and compensate them well. You know, like you do your male employees.
    • Lady B sent me an intriguing piece by an author who is looking into if we not longer work to live but, rather, live to work. The author makes some good points but he is so deep inside the "rat race" that I think he misses the point that you have to work at things to sustain them outside the office as well. Then again, I'm a work to live type myself.

Comments