What I Read This Week: Febraury 21, 2016

Monday was an unexpected snow day. Woohoo! I was wide awake at 4:30am and unable to fall back asleep. Boo! Oh well. A day off is a day off. I think that might be the last we see of winter in DC, but I could be wrong. I know the students at my university are always rooting for another snow day.

I started a new position at work about a month ago. This new position involved the merging of two units, one of which has not had a direct supervisor for several years. Its taken a few weeks, but I think I've finally managed to wrangle out what essentials need to be covered and what projects we need to tackle in the future. There are a lot of workflow/procedures/plans to be written and even more articles/books to be read for the new unit projects to be tackled, but I'm really looking forward to how things should shape up. Hopefully, all of this will make for some fun additions to to the "Work" section of this weekly feature.
  • Work
  • Magazines
    • HGTV Magazine, March 2016 - I enjoyed that this issue encouraged colorful decor and taking decorating risks. Otherwise, nothing special.
    • Food Network, March 2016 - I can't decide if I love the fact that this issue featured stereotypical Irish food (for St. Patrick's Day)... or I'm insulted by something so obvious. The various shepherd's pie recipes did look rather tasty. I just wish this issue wasn't all "Shamrocks!", "Green!", "Corned Beef and Cabbage!". Moving on. There were some decent weeknight dinner recipes in this issue. I was particularly intrigued by the dumpling and shrimp dish. That might make it to our table sooner rather than later.
    • Real Simple, February 2016 - The articles in this issue were a touch shorter than normal. I wonder if this is a new format. Anyway. I enjoyed the features on simple diet changes you can make and how a slob and a neat freak can live in harmony. I would have loved the piece on recipes you can make with your broiler... but I don't trust our broiler. Also, I don't want to clean the pan. Yick. Finally, there was a nice piece that highlighted people and their long-haul projects. It almost makes me want something long-haul-ish to do.
  • Books
    • Twice this week, I went to bed earlier than normal with the intention of reading a few more pages. That didn't happen. Just feel asleep after the same number of pages. Oh well. I'm still enjoying Shelters of Stone, which is a good thing cause there are at least 700 pages left for me to read.

Comments