What I Read This Week: January 31, 2016

This is going to auto-post while I'm (likely) eating Sunday brunch with friends during our annual ski weekend. I'm not the biggest fan of doing of cold weather sports, but I love hanging out with friends and eating lots of food and having an excuse to dress apres ski style. If I happen to end up snowboarding or tubing, all the better. (Cause snow tubing is a blast.) Besides, there's a hot tub at this house in which I soothed my aching muscles. Muscles that were put to work shoveling out our car over 6+ hours. I am so proud of the before and after that I've been sharing the pictures I took with everyone (see below the reading list).
  • Work
    • I finally managed to finish reading the January/February 2016 issue of American Libraries. I've been slowly working my way through it for about two weeks. The bulk of this issue was a year-in-review and midwinter conference preview, but I enjoyed the articles on digital humanities and the history of the library catalog.
  • Magazines
    • Savory, January/February 2016 - This was a nice little issue to kick off the year. There were a whole series of recipes showing examples of meals you can make following the latest diet trends, there were great food ideas for the Superbowl, and there were easy weeknight meals to peruse. I pulled a few recipes to try in the future.
  • Books
    • I finished Voracious. It was fantastic and delicious. I think I know which recipe I'm going to try to make first - the red wine, rosemary bread. We tend to have all the ingredients on hand, and the thought of kneading bread and the yeasty smell of it baking makes my mouth water.
    • Next up, the fifth book in the "Earth's Children" series by Jean M. Auel, Shelters of Stone. Why did I pick this book next? Because it struck my fancy and nothing says winter like a nearly 900 pages doorstopper.
  • Other
    • As someone who still takes longform notes and sends letters, I am a most definitely a fan of handwriting (CNN).
    • The Husband shared an article from The Huffington Post about black youth hockey in DC with me. It's fantastic.

Comments