What I Read This Week: December 20, 2015

This was my last week of work for the year. I will never, ever complain about working for a university because the vacation time is ah-mazing. In this case, I even tacked two days on so that I could prep for our families' arrival. The Husband and I are hosting Christmas for everyone this year and I've got a shload of cleaning and baking to take care of before they arrive in a few days. I spent the most of this past week tackling as much of my personal stuff (work and otherwise) as I could. I heart weeks that feel incredibly productive because you get to cross off all the little things that have been building up.
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, December 2015 - The cover story of Mary was pretty darn fascinating. I had no idea how deep her story and character had permeated our culture. The additional stories in this issue were also good, but the only one that stuck with me was the piece on leopards having to live with humans. I mean, leopards are just pretty, big kitties.
    • Good Housekeeping, January 2016 - I kind of loved how this issue was full of ways to refresh (but not totally redo) your home, food, and life - it was the perfect mix of stories for the new year. There was also a fantastic feature piece on the roll of awe in our lives. It's amazing to realize what enjoy the bigger things in the world can do for your mindset. Finally, my gray
      loving heart kind of adored the gray kitchen in the ways to love gray bit. It was so purty.
    • Real Simple, January 2016 - I thought that holiday issues were my favorite because of all the great food and decor ideas... but I'm beginning to think New Year's issues are giving them a run for the money. This issue was chock full of "start the year off right ideas" including giving your closet a makeover (which I will be doing soon), how to prep a week's worth of food on a Sunday, and how to find moments of peace and quiet in your life. I also liked the article on how to handle stress and use it to your advantage. There was also a fun bit on personality tests and how they may (or may not ) be right.
  • Books
    • I finished up Dragonfly in Amber. I power-read through the last 100 pages as if they'd disappear in my hands unexpectedly. Re-reading this book reminded me how much I love this series. I really really really really want to jump straight into Voyager, but I should probably pace myself.
    • On my nightstand now, Titanic: A Love Story by Shannon O'Cork. So far, it promises to be a not good book... but given that it's about Titanic, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I mean, we know the ship sinks - you gotta know what happens to the character on the boat. It's guaranteed drama.

Comments