Book 28: Dragonfly in Amber [Re-Read]

TITLE: Dragonfly in Amber
AUTHOR: Diana Gabaldon
STARTED: October 21, 2015
FINISHED: December 16, 2015
PAGES: 947
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: I woke three times in the predawn.

SUMMARY: [From BN] For twenty years, Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to the mysteries of Scotland’s mist-shrouded Highlands. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as shocking as the events that gave it birth: the secret of an ancient circle of standing stones, the secret of a love that transcends centuries, and the truth of a man named Jamie Fraser—a Highland warrior whose gallantry once drew the young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his. Claire’s spellbinding journey continues through the intrigue-ridden French court and the menace of Jacobite plots, to the Highlands of Scotland, through war and death in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.

THOUGHTS: Oh man... when I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be a simply re-read. Ha! The book decided it needed to hit me in the feels all over again.

When I re-read Outlander at the end of last year, I enjoyed myself but I found a few faults (review here) and I was expecting to experience the same thing with Dragonfly in Amber. I did not get that at all. Instead, I was reminded why I fell in love with this series and its characters in the first place. It's not about the writing (which is far better than I thought it would be this time around); it's about the characters, their emotions, and the dramatic journey everyone takes in this book.

Le sigh. I want to re-read Voyager, the next book in the series, immediately. But I won't. I'm going to pace myself. But this re-read reminded me of why these books are so darn good.

RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

Comments