What I Read This Week: November 8, 2015

The Husband and I got a new mattress this week. He had used the old once since before we started dating, so it was definitely time for an upgrade. This new mattress is from Tuft & Needle and is made of two different kinds of foam. It's much firmer than our old mattress - not to mention lacking in saggy spots and lumps. The first night felt weird because you sort of float on top. I'm used to it now (I'm also know for being able to sleep anywhere), but reading in bed is a whole new (and much more comfortable!) experience.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, November 2015 - This cover features a "tin man" to highlight the article on paranoia. Said article was okay, but I preferred the feature piece on Al Gore. Who knew he turned into an investment king with a heart? Not I. There were also interesting pieces on Bill Gates and drones. Finally, the article on Snoopy and Peanuts made me rethink my whole stance on Charles Schultz. I learned quite a bit about the history of the comic strip and the changes it went through over the year.
    • Cooking Light, November 2015 - Have I told you I love holiday issues? Of course I have... and it's still true. This was a double issue of deliciousness! Cooking Light never fails to
      impress around the holidays and I pulled several recipes from this issue to try. Who knows... they might make an appearance at Christmas since The Husband and I are hosting for the first time. I also enjoyed the article on fat and how we might have been wrong about it all along. I'll take that as an excuse to eat more butter and full-flavor yogurts. Additionally, there was a very poignant article about how we share food during periods of heartbreak and loss.  
  • Books
    • I'm slowly working my way through my re-read of Dragonfly in Amber. I had forgotten half of the stuff that happens in this book happens. I can't wait to see how Starz adapts this for the series. Bring on the marathoning!
    • In a rare feat for me, I'm reading two books at once. I had a book on hold come in at the library. Since there is a long waiting list, I can't renew it. Thus, I am trying to read a chapter a night. This book is Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I was intrigued by the concept to begin with and even more so once it exploded on the best seller list. So far, I get it... I also want to GET RID OF ALL THE THINGS.

Comments