Book 27: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

TITLE: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
AUTHOR: Marie Kondo
STARTED: November 2, 2015
FINISHED: November 18, 2015
PAGES: 213
GENRE: Non-Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: In this book, I have summed up how to put your space in order in a way that will change your life forever.

SUMMARY: [From BN] Despite constant efforts to declutter your home, do papers still accumulate like snowdrifts and clothes pile up like a tangled mess of noodles? Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again. Most methods advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach, which doom you to pick away at your piles of stuff forever. The KonMari Method, with its revolutionary category-by-category system, leads to lasting results. In fact, none of Kondo’s clients have lapsed (and she still has a three-month waiting list). With detailed guidance for determining which items in your house “spark joy” (and which don’t), this international bestseller featuring Tokyo’s newest lifestyle phenomenon will help you clear your clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home—and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire.

THOUGHTS: I don't necessarily need any encouragement to weed and organize my belongings, but I was intrigued by the buzz around this book. I get it now. This book is ah-mazing. I can hardly wait to put what I learned into action over the Christmas holiday break. The book is simple, easy to follow, and the logic behind her method makes perfect sense. I do think her "how this will completely transform the rest of your life" stuff might be a bit overblown, but the basics make perfect sense. This is one of the few books I've read "after the curve" that I don't think is over-hyped. 

RATING: 10/10 [Best. Book. Ever]

Comments