What I Read This Week: October 11, 2015

What a perfect fall week. I took every chance I could get be outside. This included visiting the Maryland Renaissance Festival with friends. Nothing like ye olde shoppes and foodstuffs on sticks to put a smile on your face.

Now I get to enjoy football all day with The Husband. I heart fall.
  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, September 2015 - The front chunk of this issue
      was a recap of the ALA conference in San Francisco. I gave it a good skim since I could not attend. The best article in this issue was "Bird's Eye View: Using Twitter in #ClubRoesch." I run our library's social media accounts, so it's always great to read about what other academic libraries are doing. I also enjoyed one new librarian's account of being an academic librarian.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, October 2015 - This was a very, very good issue. When I first started reading, I knew I would enjoy/learn from the pieces on the impact of mass incarceration and solving a cold case with DNA. I was surprised, however, by how absorbed I became in the article about David Hume and Buddhism. I started the article thinking I would end up skimming it, but I ended up stopping everything until I could finish the whole thing. The piece follow's the authors journey discovering the connection and influence of the two subjects... including detailed description of her research process. It was fascinating, and I highly recommend it (particularly if you happen to be a librarian or an archivist).
  • Books
    • I'm still working on The Butcher and the Vegetarian, but it's all coming along nicely and I'm enjoying the book.

Comments