What I Read This Week: September 27, 2015

What a week! The Pope was in town and everything was crazy because of his visit. Luckily, I got a mini-popecation (and a facial!) so I didn't have to deal with metro and it's usual meltdowns. On top of that, the water was out at work most of the week week. It was a pain in the tush having, but we managed. Research waits for nothing!
  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, September 2015 - I heard an interview with the subject of the cover story on NPR a few weeks back, so I was excited to read this piece. Everyone knows that ivory poaching and smuggling is a problem, and this piece tries to explain how it's done. It was both fascinating and sad - highly recommend. This issue also had a great piece on a mountain climbing expedition in Myanmar. If I ever had the urge to climb mountains (which I don't), this piece would make me think twice.
  • Books
    • I finished off the final few pages of The Plains of Passage. Woohoo! Despite the trend toward repetition, I very much enjoyed the story. Thank goodness I have the final two books in the series already on hand. I'm excited to see where this all goes.
    • My new book, The Butcher and the Vegetarian, is by one of my favorite bloggers, Tara Austen Weaver. I've loved her lyrical writing style for a long time, and I'm happy I finally get to read her first book. So far, it is as wonderful as I expected. I also have the urge to track down a local butcher shop.

Comments