Why I Love... Kids Books

I am 31, but I still love reading kids books. Not just Young Adult books (even though they are very awesome), but true kids books. The books meant for those 8 and under. The books with all the pretty, pretty pictures, and simple story lines.

I don't often read kids books, but I was reminded of my love for them when I had to purchase a few for a one-year-old's birthday. I think the best way to find good kids books is to read them - cover-to-cover. So, there I sat in the aisle of Barnes and Noble, reading kids books. It was like time traveling back to the days I would read a stack of books, huddled in the corner of my grandmother's guest bedroom.

The artwork and illustrations is these books are simply amazing. Each book has a different style, but they all hold the same allure to me. There is so much to look at beyond the main images. What details did the illustrator include? How do the pictures enhance the text? There is always something new to find, even if you're re-reading the book for the umpteenth time. It's even more fun to read these books with kids, because they always seem to notice something I missed.

When I moved out of my parents house, I told them they could get rid of anything I left behind... except for the kids books. I am going to want those again one day. If not for my future children, then for myself.

Comments