What I Read This Week: August 2, 2015

DC is heat wave central. Yuck. The AC in my office was also on the fritz this week. I endured.

On the happy side, I hosted a "I Saw It On Pinterest" shindig yesterday. I wanted an excuse to try a bunch of things I've pinned, so I invited others to join me. I think it went well.
  • Work
    • I flipped through the digital edition of the July/August 2015 issue of American Libraries. It was the conference wrap-up, so I I mainly skimmed.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, August 2015 - This issue had some great summer recipes including delectable looking frozen treats. I may have to try a few of the ideas before the hot months leave us. I shall also try a few of the cleaning tips they offered. On the more serious side, the feature articles on dealing with whining (in kids and adults) and pain were very informative. I don't know why I'm also surprised when this magazine includes serious features, but they do it well.
    • Good Housekeeping, August 2015 - I mostly skimmed this issue but the opinion piece by Jennifer Weiner on how words can hurt was well done. I also liked the smorgasbord of pink stuff to buy. Lady C loves pink, so I squirreled a few gift ideas away.
    • Cooking Light, August 2015 - I love it when this magazine features great recipes with minimal ingredients. The 5 ingredient meals cover story was right up my alley. I even pulled a few to try. This issue also had a great spread on 12 fish to eat and how to do so sustainably. (I love swordfish but always feel guilty when I order it, so I do so very rarely.) There was also a short article on clean eating that included rather practical tips.
    • National Geographic, August 2015 - Love the cover image! Love the cover story! This was a fascinating piece on Pope
      Francis and the influence he's having on the Catholic church. On top of that, the article on the Jade sea was both informative and full of great pictures. Finally, I was surprised by the piece on taxidermy. I will never look at the Natural History Museum the same again.
  • Books
    • I'm just over a chapter into In Search of the Perfect Loaf. It's a great book so far (and really makes me want to eat bread), but I keep falling asleep after a few pages.
  • Other
    • Why is a Nazi ship now a training vessel in the US Coast Guard? It's a fascinating story.
    • Article Club met this week. Lady B found this great article about the changes that are happening to a family in rural China.

Comments