Book 13: Adultery

TITLE: Adultery
AUTHOR: Paulo Coelho
STARTED: June 5, 2015
FINISHED: June 21, 2015
PAGES: 257
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: Every morning, when I open my eyes to the so-called "new day," I feel like closing them again, staying in bed, and not getting up.

SUMMARY: [From BNAdultery, the provocative new novel by Paulo Coelho, best-selling author of The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes, explores the question of what it means to live life fully and happily, finding the balance between life's routine and the desire for something new. 

THOUGHTS: I grabbed this book from the library because it was on my Books to Read Pinterest board. I have no recollection of what made me pin that book, but it turned out to be an interesting read. It's been a month since I finished this book, but the emotional journey of the story has stuck with me. I didn't find this book to be a revelation or anything, but I enjoyed the realistic feeling journey Coelho but his main character on. The plot and characters felt quite real, and it was interesting to see the consequences of the choices they made.

I thought I would dislike the characters because this is a story about adultery, but I did not find that to be the case at all. In many ways, I felt sympathy for them. I was not expecting to have that reaction and it allowed me to enjoy the book a bit more.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments