What I Read This Week: May 24, 2015

The operating system on the computers at work were finally upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. It took our tech guy half a day to transfer, update, and reconfigure everything I use. I use Windows 7 at home, so I know how the system works, but it still took me almost a full day to organize my transferred files and set up all the programs just as I like them. Thank goodness it's summer and the rest of my projects are running smoothly.

Also, The Husband was on staycation all week. I came home to freshly folded laundry, delicious dinners, and walks around our neighborhood. It was spectacular. Now I'm, bummed that he'll be going back to his crazy work hours next week. Sad face.
  • Work
    • I flipped through the May 2015 issue of College and Research Libraries News. I only stopped to read the article on an innovative way to collect reference questions.
  • Magazines
    • Food Network, May 2015 - I was going to love this issue, no matter what was inside, since there was a cupcake on the cover. Luckily for me, the issue was as delicious as promised. The cupcake piece contained some create recipes along with some baking tips. I also enjoyed the editorial on colorful kitchens, along with the behind the scenes look at the set of Guy's Grocery Games. Now that is a store I want to shop in. The attention to detail is amazing. Finally, I pulled a few recipes to try later; a few came out of the pasta dinners section.
    • Food Network, June 2015 - I read this immediately after I finished the May issue, so it was a touch of a let down. June was Hollywood themed, so it was just meh for me. I did enjoy the tidbits I learned about popcorn and what the stars like to eat, but otherwise, *toss*. 
    • Washingtonian, May 2015 - As a person who loves to walk everywhere, this issue was perfect. I read every word of the Washington walks article, and I filed away several ideas to try later. Next up: Kevin Spacey. The Husband and I watch House of Cards, so I found this story about Spacey, the man to be very interesting. I read the rest of the issue enjoying the usual neighborhood and restaurant insights, but nothing else particularly caught my eye.
  • Books
    • I'm a few chapters into my new read, The Sweet Life in Paris. So far it's a nice mix of (slightly stereotypical and judgy) insights about Parisians and recipes. Now I want to go back to that glorious city and eat all the things. ALL THE THINGS!
  • Other

Comments