What I Read This Week:

This post covers the past two weeks. The Fiance and I traveled to Austin, TX to visit his folks for Thanksgiving. Between the 6 hours of flight time and additional hours waiting in the airport, I made a rather large dent in some of my reading. I may not be a fan of flying, but I do enjoy the chance to read uninterrupted for a long stretch of time.


One last note: This post will also be the last WIRTW until I return from our honeymoon. 6 days to go. Eep!

  • Magazines
    • National Geographic, August 2014 - (This was a replacement issue for the one I missed during the move.) The cover story on Scotland's stone builders was utterly fascinating. I had not idea any of that existed. I read the hunger in America story was not surprising at all, and that fact made me sad. To round out this issue, I enjoyed the brief pieces on Jane Goodall's apes and the tunnels of World War I.
    • National Geographic, December 2014 - I read this on the airplane heading to Texas. The stories on the Joy of Food, Holy Lands walk, and Patagonian cowboys provided a nice mix of informative and easy-reading.... anything to distract me from the fact that I was on an airplane.
    • The Atlantic, December 2014 - I also read this on the airplane to Texas... and also coming back from Texas because it was a great issue and I read it cover-to-cover. The piece I found most interesting was the one on the Jesus' wife fragment. I also thought the articles on midlife crises and strict schools were informative. As for lighter articles, the science of hit songs made me want to turn on Pandora and the short snippet on airport bartenders had me looking at DCA's terminal bar a bit differently.
    • Washingtonian, December 2014 - This was mostly a flip-through airplane read for me. That said, I did take the time to read the articles on football helmets and relaxation in DC. I also enjoyed
      some of the things listed in the tastiest dishes and gift guides.
    • Cooking Light, November 2014 - It's a good thing I read this issue after Thanksgiving or I might have commandeered my future in-laws kitchen. There were so many tasty looking morsels on these pages. I pulled a new polenta recipe to try since I have a bag of that already in our pantry cabinet. The surprising thing about this issue was that included two full-length articles that only felt tangentially related to food. The first was on how to spice up your cooking when you feel out of love with. The second was a very touching story about her mother and her preemie twins. Definitely worth reading both.
  • Books
    • I'm almost a third of the way through The Mammoth Hunters. This door-stopper of a
      book shall be joining us on the honeymoon. There is a beach to be read on!

Comments