Book 13: Written in My Own Heart's Blood

TITLE: Written in My Own Heart's Blood
AUTHOR: Diana Gabaldon
STARTED: June 28, 2014
FINISHED: August 30, 2014
PAGES: 825
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: Ian Murray stood with a stone in his hand, eyeing the ground he'd chosen.

SUMMARY: [From BN.com]  1778: France declares war on Great Britain, the British army leaves Philadelphia, and George Washington’s troops leave Valley Forge in pursuit. At this moment, Jamie Fraser returns from a presumed watery grave to discover that his best friend has married his wife, his illegitimate son has discovered (to his horror) who his father really is, and his beloved nephew, Ian, wants to marry a Quaker. Meanwhile, Jamie’s wife, Claire, and his sister, Jenny, are busy picking up the pieces.

The Frasers can only be thankful that their daughter Brianna and her family are safe in twentieth-century Scotland. Or not. In fact, Brianna is  searching for her own son, who was kidnapped by a man determined to learn her family’s secrets. Her husband, Roger, has ventured into the past in search of the missing boy . . . never suspecting that the object of his quest has not left the present. Now, with Roger out of the way, the kidnapper can focus on his true target: Brianna herself.

THOUGHTS: It has been over two months since I completed this book, and I am still ruminating on it. This book was, in my opinion, the weakest in the Outlander series. It was, even for all its action and plot points, slow moving. But that slow pace did not, in any way, ruin my enjoyment. Reading Written in My Own Heart's Blood felt like resuming a conversation with a good friend you see once a year. You talk late into the night and enjoy every moment, but nothing earth-shattering happens. Yes, even with all the THINGS that do happen in this novel, it read like comfort food.

This book picks up right where the last one left off. It did not feel like I actually waited years for this book to com out. The conversation with the characters started anew, and each page was simply spending time with a friend. The last chapter leaves me anticipating the next book, and I assume I will pick-up the conversation right where I left off.

At this point, the Outlander series is not longer a book to me. It's a friend I get to catch-up with every few years.

RATING:7/10 [Very Good]

Comments