Why I Love... Randomness

Not every book I read is a deliberate choice. Sometimes, I find books simply by chance. Something random will jump out at me from the bookstore or library shelf and scream "Read me."

For example, in preparation for a read-a-thon a year or so ago, I was perusing the YA section of the library. As I was browsing the shelves, I found a book that was clearly misshelved. Being the librarian that I am, I pulled this book from the stacks with the intent to deliver it to a reshelving cart. Instead, I got distracted by the pretty cover and decided to read the back summary. This is how I discovered The School of Essential Ingredients - one of my favorite books.

That is not the only book I've discovered randomly, but it is the first story that comes to mind. Random encounters on the metro or while reading book lists have also brought me to stories I ended up loving or, at the very least, enjoying for a time. When you're a reader, you're always on the lookout for a new title to try. Sometimes, the best titles find you.

Serendipity can be awesome sometimes.

Comments