What I Read This Week: April 27, 2014

This was only a 4-day work week for me, but it sure didn't feel like it. That's what I get for kicking the wedding vendor search into high gear. At least now we've got meeting scheduled with florists and I can stop stressing about that a little bit. New stressor... why are string ensembles so damn expensive? I may have to go post a flyer in our music school. Undergrads still work for pizza, right?

Thank goodness read-a-thon delivered a bit of a respite from the craziness.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, May 2014 - This issue was mainly about fast recipes. I pulled a few but was not overly impressed with this issue. Can't win 'em all.
    • Food Network, May 2014 - Cupcakes? On the cover? Yes, please! I pulled several recipes to try from this issue including one for jello margarita squares. Whose in? I also learned that macaroons are a pain to make. That was news to me. Finally - check out this awesome piƱata cake. I want to eat the feet.
    • Real Simple, May 2014 - In this issue that was all about organizing (good tips, btw), I found two articles that were just gems. The first was a piece about wallflowers in bloom. It basically teaches ways for shy people to break out of there shells with new people. I may have to try a few of their recommendations because I stink at professional networking. My favorite article in this issue, by far, was about the dynamics and stereotypes between mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law. While the article offered advice on how to be a good mother-in-law, I found myself thinking fondly of my future mother-in-law. While I was nervous to first meet and get to know her, she's a wonderful woman. I had a giggle at the advice Real Simple offered because she already does those things. 
  • Books
    • I finished Pope Joan. It turned out to be a great book so I was making time to read it. Now I want to go on a wikipedia spree and learn more. Guess the author wins.
    • I also managed to finish all of these books during read-a-thon. Full reviews and all that jazz to follow:
      • Flora and Ulysses
      • Smoothies and Shakes
      • Parasite
      • Budget Bytes

Comments