Why I Love... Reading While Watching Sports

As I type this, my Washington Capitals are being trounced by the Philadelphia Flyers. Oh look, off-setting penalties for fighting. Stupid rivalry night on NBC. Harrumph. I am not pleased by this situation, but it does remind me of my love of reading while watching sports.

I love sports - football, hockey, the Olympics, tennis - you name it, I'll likely watch it on TV. There are certain teams I follow religiously (the Capitals and the Notre Dame football team), and I can get really into the game. I've been known to throw salty language around when I think the situation calls for it. Getting into the game is awesome, but it can also be incredibly stressful. I've been known to hide behind a pillow or in my hoodie during field goal attempts and shoot-outs.

One way I've managed to ease my personal tension during the game is by reading. Usually it's just a magazine or blogs, but I'll pick up a book if that's what I'm in the mood for. I've become quite the master of looking up in time to catch the big plays and returning to my reading material when there is a pause in the action. This multi-tasking keeps my heart-rate within acceptable limits and allows me to enjoy the game without passing out. It also means I can eek out some extra reading time which is always a plus.

And let's be honest with one another - football is a slow moving game, there are a lot of breaks and pauses in which one can read.

Comments