What I Read This Week: March 16, 2014

C'mon spring! As much as I love snow days, I am sick of winter. It's been too cold for too long. The epic wind storm we had this week was the last straw. Yesterday was lovely, but Capital Weather Gang tells me there is more winter weather in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Boo. At least I can console myself with a rather productive reading week.

  • Work
    • So. Many. Digital Preservation. Policies. That is all.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, March 2014 - This issue was all over the place when it comes to subjects, but I enjoyed many of the article. The cover feature on "the fraternity problem" was well researched and more than a little bit alarming.  My favorite article in this issue was about training hockey goalies. The "War on Reason" piece offered an interesting insight into the brain's biochemistry and how human's act. It offered a fascinating study of an overlooked position in an overlooked sport.
    • National Geographic, March 2014 - Science! I was so looking forward to the cover story on black holes. It was great but, sadly, quite lacking in length. Happily, the long article on tuna more than made up for my disappointment. Also, I need to travel to New Zealand because it looks really pretty.
  • Books
    • Score one for putting a large dent in Worm. I shall finish my third book of the year yet!
  • Other
    • I am a huge fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson - so you better believe I'll be parking it on the couch to watch the second part of Cosmos tonight. (Last week's episode was awesome!) Along with the watching, I've been reading every article written about the reboot that comes my way. This piece on the Daily Beast was particularly good.
    • I've mentioned in the past that I like reading books about "things." I've now added three titles to my TBR list because of this Atlantic blog article on dust.

Comments