What I Read This Week: February 16, 2014

This post covers two weeks worth of reading because I got distracted. The Fiance and I had our engagement pictures last Sunday, and I was so nervous beforehand that I forgot to write up a post. Whoops! We're still waiting for the final product, but we think the session went well. It started to snow during the last half-hour and we really, really, really, hope those images come out because we're having a winter wedding.

I'm going to have to distract myself with a lot more reading (and Olympics watching) until the pictures come back. Thank goodness our photographer posted a sneak peek on her Facebook page on Friday. You can see it on this week's Friday Fashion Find post.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, December 2013 - I read this issue while commuting and almost missed my stop a few times. It was chock full of good stuff. I really enjoyed the articles on big data and work, John Kerry, and the attempts to end the flu.
    • Cooking Light, January/February 2014 - There were many tasty recipes in this issue, but I didn't pull two many. I did enjoy the piece featuring lighter dinner classics. I also found the article on social dieting to be both interesting and useful.
    • Real Simple, February 2014 - This was a much better issue that January's. The article on walking made me want to give my FitBit a better work out. This issue had an article on kids and anxiety which I making a mental note to save. Finally, the back of the issue had a lot of tasty recipes. I might have pulled most of them.
    • National Geographic, February 2014 - The cover story on brain science was just plain cool. It makes me want to get a head scan just so I can see the pretty images of my gray matter. The article on the dome of Florence was fantastic. I've already started tracking down more books about it's construction. The images in the article on the Yukon gold rush were stunning. Actually, I'm just going to come out and recommend that you read this issue from cover to cover.
  • Books
    • I finished Allegient last week. While the ending surprised me, I did not like the whole plot trajectory of the third book. I will post a full review soonish. Now I need a new book and I have no idea what I am in the mood for.
  • Other
    • Slate posted a fascinating take on why America will never have another revolution... and it all has to do with noise levels in public gathering places. Seriously, give this article a read.
    • I use Slideshare and subscribe to their weekly e-mails. Usually, I find the recommended slides to be meh, but this week, I greatly enjoyed the presentation "8 Tips for an Awesome PowerPoint
      Presentation." Yes, a lot of it was common sense, but I still think the information was worth the look.

Comments