Book 24: Dark Triumph

TITLE: Dark Triumph
AUTHOR: Robin LaFevers
STARTED: September 9, 2013
FINISHED: October 7, 2013
PAGES: 388 
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: I did not arrive at the convent of Saint Mortain some green stripling.

SUMMARY: [From BN] Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this thrilling sequel to Grave Mercy. Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

THOUGHTS: Normally, I am quite disappointed with the second book in a trilogy. Most of the time the book feels like a set-up for the last book and is unable to stand on it's own. Happily, this is not the case with Dark Triumph. I don't think this book could stand on it's own, but that's because it is a smooth continuation from Grave Mercy and is perfectly set-up for whatever the third book may be. While I didn't find myself wanting to read this book into the wee hours of the morning, I was highly intrigued by the characters and plot.

Dark Triumph does not have the same sense of intrigue and mystery as Grave Mercy, but there is no way it could. Sybella is a fascinating character who is both strong and horribly weak at the same time. I love complex characters! Her hero is one of those tough guys (maybe a bit too tough), but I wonder if that is making up for how he first appears in the book. They work well together without turning into that whole damsel/hero stereotype. But, mainly, this book gives you all the feels about the environment in which Sybella was raised. I was both sad and disgusted, but the author always successfully walked that fine line between tragedy and drama-for-drama's-sake.

The only squidgy thing about this book is how young the female leads are. I understand that aspect is historically accurate, but it still makes me feel weird. I drastically age the characters in my head in some scenes.

I want the next book now! What is up with the convent? Where is this going? How is our small province in France to survive? I have questions that need answers, and I'm cranky I have to wait a year.

RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments