Why I Love... Book Plates


When I shop at used bookstores, one thing I always check for is a bookplate. These add-ins help to tell a story and history of the book's travels. Who owned it? Was it a gift? Did some young child add their name in an act of possession? Is the bookplate itself just really, really pretty? Bookplates are fun additions to books that always make me smile.

Last year, we found a book hanging out in the stacks at work. It was not particularly old or pretty, but the bookplate was amazing. This bookplate was attached to a book that was printed in German block text. I have no idea what the content of the book was, but the bookplate was clear as day. It was the symbol of the Third Reich. Talk about a "woah" moment. The book might not have been all that rare or old, but our Rare Books department was happy to add it to their collection because of the bookplate. 


Bookplates are also stunningly beautiful. Some bookplates are simple line drawings but many offer intricate designs and beautiful color work. Most bookplates are square or rectangular shaped, but I've circles, hearts and triangles; I've even seen full-page bookplates. Stanford has a great online exhibit (or you Google the word "bookplate").

Bookplates are art and history attached to a story.

Comments