What I Read This Week: September 22, 2013

I had an entry all written up for last week. Then I forgot to post it. Oops. But it was for a very good reason...

Last weekend, my mom and future mother-in-law were in town. They joined myself, Lady B, and Lady C for wedding dress shopping. Squee! We went to four different salons and I tried on about 50 dresses. I was able to narrow it down to two I liked best. Yesterday, I hit up the first salon again and re-tried a dress that I couldn't get out of my mind. So, I've made my decision... but I'll refrain from saying anything more, as The Fiance reads this here blog.

Last night the girls and I celebrated the victory by eating tasty food (Lady C made some epic red lentil curry) and watching Gone With the Wind.

I should probably start talking about I've read over the past few weeks... ahem. Here we go:
  • Work
    • I managed to read a chapter in The ART of People Management in Libraries, but man is this book dull. There is some good stuff, but those bits are few and far between.
  • Magazines
    • Real Simple, September 2013 - I like the article that broke down diet versus exercise - it described which was better for various goals. The piece on mentoring was also well done. I also enjoyed the article on how to be a better learner.
    • The Atlantic, September 2013 - No surprise here, I love Mark Bowden's article on drone warfare. The piece on the craigslist killers was also good, but very disturbing to read as well. It's a good thing I didn't read that one right before bed.
    • Real Simple Weddings - Technically this magazine is more like a small book. It was full of good ideas and advice. I'm going to hold on this one as a sort of abridged version of the The Knot Guide
      (more below on that).
  • Books
    • All of the wedding dress stuff reminded me that I should read more chapters in The Knot's Complete Guide to Weddings. So I did.
    • I also started reading the second book in the assassin series by Robin Lafevers. So far I am enjoying Dark Triumph, but I keep falling asleep after a few pages. Lady B wants me to read faster so we can talk about it.
  • Other
    • I read two very interesting articles on homework. Both pieces discuss how homework may not be helping our students.

Comments