Why I Love... Buying Books for Baby Showers

I'm attending a friend's baby shower in August. I was tickled pink (or blue since they're having a bouncing baby boy) to see that there were books on the registry. While I do give bibs and really cute clothes (tiny boots!), I always give the future parents at least one book.

I give books because reading to kids when they're young can be a soothing bonding experience for both parent and child. Reading can become a shared ritual that creates long lasting memories. Who here doesn't love re-reading their favorite childhood books?

Early childhood reading also helps develop a child's mind. They might not be able to read the words on the page, but the kids still learn. The more parents read to their kids, the more the kids will want to read themselves. It's a good habit to develop. And reading is a lifelong skill that should start early. (I vote even in utero.)

I must admit that my intentions are not without bias. I selfishly like the idea that these young book lovers will, one day, visit their local library. Gotta train them while they're young.

Luckily, my friends are readers so books are always welcome. Also, small kids with books is the most adorable thing ever.

Comments