Why I Love... Romance Novels

During my freshman year of college, a friend of mine introduced me to romance novels. Little did she know that she would create a monster. After reading my first romance novel (The Forest Lord - !), I couldn't get my hands on enough of the little (or big) buggers. When my class schedule allowed, I could motor through 3 to 4 romance novels a week - and I loved every minute of it.

All through college, I devoured romance novels like they were chocolate. My love for the genre was so intense because these books were the exact opposite of the dense and academic material I was reading for my classes. Romance novels were light and airy, allowing me to entertain my brain after I worked it all day. I could stop and start at will, always picking up the story again without trouble. The tropes of the genre meant I knew what to expect, and I loved looking forward to the happy ending I knew was coming. I also love the emotional intensity of the books. Who needed drama in life when there was drama on the page that didn't mess my days up?

Now in my post-college years, I continue to read romance novels but at a much slower pace. I overdosed during my college years (sorry Nora Roberts, you got too repetitive) and have started to space things out. Since I'm no longer overloaded with academic reading, my book tastes tended to be more widespread. I bounce around from genre to genre, but I still pick up a romance novel every now and then. These days, I see romance novels as a treat. They are the gem of a genre I continue to love and indulge in, but not every day.

I still love the facets of romance novels - the couple meets, they have their issues, they get back together, and everything ends happily. If the reading is good and the plot twists surprising, all the better. When I read romance novels, I always feel cozy and amused. Romance novels are the comfort food of my book world. I feel like I'm indulging when I read them and it makes me happy.

Also, all the historical facts and notes in romance novels have added to my trivia knowledge. Yes, I win things because of romance novels. Victory!

Comments