Why I Love... Readathon

The first 2013 read-a-thon kicks off at 8:00am on Saturday, April 27th. I signed up - you should too.

Read-a-thon is one of my favorite days of the year. I love being able to set aside an entire day to cozy up with a pile of books and read. All day. With snacks. Sometimes there are even cuddles with The Boyfriend.

What's not to love?

The reason I love read-a-thon so much is that I can to plan a whole day surrounding my favorite activity. If you're a long time reader of this blog, you know that I spend the week(ish) before read-a-thon discussing my plans for the day. Thinking about what books I will read, what order I will read them in, and what I will eat during the day creates an aura of expectation. This lead-up to the event creates such a sense of "almost there" anticipation that I'm raring to go, bright and early on read-a-thon day. (Although the full coffee pot also helps.)

On read-a-thon day itself, I find myself fully content to sink into the sofa with a book and a beverage. There's something incredibly restful about reading for long periods of time (even if you take blogging breaks every hour). On read-a-thon day, there are no errands to run nor chores to complete. I can forget about work and daily stresses. Heck, I even get to ignore the fact that I probably should be going to the gym. On read-a-thon day there's just the joy of happily pouring over a large pile of books. A joy that is further accompanied by finger foods and delicious beverages.

Reading is one of the things I do when I want to have "me" time. Read-a-thon means I get to dedicate a full day to me and doing something I love.

Comments