What I Read This Week: April 28, 2013

When this blurb of words auto-posts at 11am, I'll either still be in bed in a reading-induced coma or slowly dragging my tush out of bed and making a lurch toward the coffee pot. The Boyfriend and I are headed to a private cellar tasting at one of our favorite Virginia vineyards this afternoon. That means I do have to get out of bed at some point. I would grumble, but I like wine.

My goal for the week before read-a-thon was to finish my current read, Infamous. I managed to do that and then some:
  • For work:
    • I read a white paper, "Facing the Future," by Brian Matthews. It asks librarians to think like entrepreneurs and I thought it was pretty darn good.
    • I flipped through an Association of College and Research Libraries piece called "Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summit." Basically is says academic libraries need to spend more time proving their worth to their institutions by a) collaborating, b) speaking in academic lingo, and c) reminding people we're awesome everyday. Word.
  • In the magazine column:
    • Health, May 2013 - Apparently, I still get this? This was a quick flip issue. Nothing grabbed my attention.
    • Food Network, May 2013 - The next time I see my mom, she's getting a big thank you hug. I've enjoyed every issue of this magazine. In this issue I tore out a tone of brunch recipes - including the entire cinnamon rolls and other sweet doughs section. I also loved the piece that went behind the scenes on Chopped. I love that show.
    • National Geographic, May 2013 - This issue had intriguing stories on genetics and living a long life, an island off of the northern Russian coast, and nitrogen fertilizer. A weird mix, yes, but an informative one.
  • Book wise:

Comments