Why I Love... Long-Form Reading

I read a lot of magazines. Since I loathe working out at the gym, they allow me to distract myself as I'm on the elliptical or bike. Everything is better when you add reading!

One of my favorite magazines is The Atlantic. There is one simple reason I subscribed to this publication and that's because it publishes long-form articles. Most magazine articles are short. While I enjoy reading them, I love that longer pieces can provide a more well-rounded argument or coverage of a story. The Atlantic is one of the few magazines left that still specializes in long-form articles.

Back in 2002, my dad tossed a copy of The Atlantic at me. He said, "Read the Bowden piece." This caused two things to happen: 1.) I was introduced to my favorite non-fiction author, Mark Bowden and 2.) I fell in love with long-form articles. I was hooked from the first page of "Tales of the Tyrant." Since that day, I've been an avid reader of this magazine.

The Atlantic may be my first love, but it introduced me to the idea that longer articles can be great reads.  I subscribe to several blogs that feature long-form posts. I love to save them for those moments in the week where I can settle in for a good read. These pieces, whether print or e-read, give the right amount of detail and research to fully cover a topic without the requiring the full commitment of a book. (That said, several long-form reads have led me to track down books on similar topics.

Long-form reads. I love'em. They're a nice mix of short-and-sweet and suck-you-in depth.

Comments