Why I Love... New Book Smell

There's nothing quite like opening a brand new book and sticking your nose straight into the pages. It's one of my favorite things to do I start reading a new book.


New books are all crisp and shiny, but it's their distinctive aroma that delights me the most. It's a hint of unruffled paper, fresh ink, and je ne sais quo that just says, "Come and read me!"

I'm not the only one who thinks so; a company thought people would love the smell so much the created a perfume off the idea. Then, there's the writer of Breathing Books who also loves that new book smell. She wrote up this post: 
Me: [I sit down on the couch with a new book. I open the book and begin reading] 
Wife: [Looks at the book] That's a new book. [Leans over] Oh, that smells good. 
Me: [Scoots a little away] I'm trying to read 
Wife: [Grabs the book and sticks her face in it]: That smells awesome. Mmm . . . 
Me: Hey, I was reading that! 
Wife: In a minute, in a minute. [continues to smell book] 
Me: Look, if want to get high on something I can get you . . . 
Wife: Hush, this is working perfect! 
Me: 
Me: 
Me: Can I please have my book back! 
Now SHE gets "breathing books"!!!

If you've ever huffed a new book, you're in good company.

Comments

Unknown said…
Don't forget the amazing smell of old books too!! I think I love the smell of old books even more than the smell of new books. Used bookstores have the best smell ever!
Meghan said…
I agree! Used bookstores are one of my favorite things, and their distinctive smell is part of the reason why.