2012 In Review


How I Would Describe 2012
Part of me is really disappointed in my reading this year. My numbers were epically low. I only read 41 books. I struggled with my reading through slumps and general disinterest. I had phases where the thought of reading made me want to run away.

Then again, there were some books that kept me reading far past my bedtime. I finally tackled books that have been sitting on my shelves for ages. I read a lot more books that could be described as door stoppers. (My 41 books totaled 11,241 pages.) And, I went on a Young Adult reading spree this summer.

I guess 2012 was a year of general disinterest and distraction. In the end, though, I'm generally happy. I had a lot more going on in my life than reading this year, and that's okay. When I did get around to books, I was reminded of why I love them so much. 

Reading Goals v. Reading Reality
If you're interested or need a refresher, you can read my 2012 resolutions here.

1. Read books I own (on my endless quest to reduce Mt. TBR).
-- I did better. Not great, but better. There are more gaps on my shelves now than there were at the start of the year, so we'll call this a win.

2. Read from the Titanic collection.
-- Only two books read for this resolution. Womp womp.

3. Stop focusing on the numbers.
-- Big fail! I read far fewer books this year and it bugged me.

4. Be a more conscious consumer of media. 

-- I did okay. I still went through "Ooh shiny!" phases (particularly during the election... and with Pinterest), but I did manage to catch myself far more often than I used to.

5. Be a better blogger.
-- I think I did well here. While I never do seem to get around to the big-important-idea posts I always have in my head, I did manage to keep up (for the most part) with the majority of my blog feature posts. I neglected some Variations on a Theme posts from time to time (sorry December!), but that's what happens when life gets in the way. All in all, I'm pleased with myself in this area.

The Year in Genres
I think we can say that 2012 was a year of fiction and young adult fiction at that. Clearly I went through a phase.

Books about Books = 1
Memoir = 1
Art = 1
Food = 2
Titanic = 2
Mystery = 2
Non-Fiction = 2 
Juvenile = 2
Romance = 3
Graphic Novel = 5
Library Science = 5
Young Adult = 7
Fiction = 8 

One of those fiction books was also an audio book.

The Year in Ratings
Given that I only read 41 books this year, I was shocked to see that the ratings I gave trended on the more positive side.

1 = 0
2 = 0
3 = 2
4 = 4
5 = 11
6 = 8
7 = 8
8 = 7
9 = 0
10 = 1

The Ten Best Books of 2012   
Since I only read 41 books this year, my top ten is a quarter of my yearly reading. It can't be helped! 

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Re-Read)
9. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Re-Read)
8. Rex Libris: I, Librarian by James Turner
7. Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife
6. Unpacking My Library: Writers and Their Books by Leah Price
5. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
4. A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe
3. The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan
2. Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty by Andrew Bolton

My number one book this year is, without a doubt....

1. The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister


And that, my friends, in 2012 in a nutshell. 

Comments