Book 32: Crossed

TITLE: Crossed 
AUTHOR: Ally Condie
STARTED: July 29, 2012
FINISHED: August 16, 2012
PAGES: 384
GENRE: Young Adult

FIRST SENTENCE: I'm standing in a river.

SUMMARY: [From Barnes and Noble] Separated by the dictatorial Society that rules them, Cassia has been searching for Ky while suffering the harsh conditions of labor camps far from home. About to be sent to the Society’s biggest city for her permanent work assignment, Cassia instead grabs an opportunity to reach the war-torn Outer Provinces, where she finally gets a lead in tracking Ky. Ky has survived being used as a pawn in the Society’s war against a nameless and faceless enemy; he and two companions have escaped into a no man’s land, and Cassia follows. As Cassia and Ky hike through dangerous territory in search of a rumored rebellion and the freedom to be together, the specter of Cassia’s betrothed, Xander, hangs over them. Narrated from Cassia and Ky’s viewpoints, Condie’s sequel to her acclaimed Matched is very much a middle book, centering on a transformative journey and setting up the finale to come.

THOUGHTS: I almost forgot to review this book. Oops! This is the second entry in Condie's new trilogy and, I do have to say, it was pretty good. This book didn't wow me by any means, but I did enjoy the story and the set-up for book 3.

Unlike other books (coughInsurgentcough), the teenagers in this book manage to be teens without annoying the spit outta me. They have their issues and dramas that represent high school, but they also act with growing maturity. I don't have to wonder why the love story is happening because it is clear by the characters actions and words. Also, in this book, Xander and Cassia also pick up a few new characters who add to both the plot and the richness of the story. These are not throw away, background characters. They have their own personalities and motives. I love it when the secondary people get to play!

The only thing that kept me from loving this story is that it stills feels forced in the writing. The plot doesn't flow, it's pushed to achieve a goal. I'm all for the writer trying to make things work, but sometimes it throws the pace of the novel off which lessens my enjoyment.

All in all, not a bad book. I am looking forward to Book 3.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments