What I Read This Week: June 24, 2012

I went to a Nationals baseball game on Tuesday. I don't know what it is about baseball games, but this one finally made it feel like summer (even though I spent last Saturday at the beach). Clearly I need to eat ballpark food under the lights to feel like we've finally hit the lazy, hazy days of summer.

Or, maybe, the switch to summer happened because the heat index in DC hit 102 on Wednesday. That might be it.

As for my reading, it was quite varied.
  • I read the latest Master Plan for the university where I work. It was lengthy (just over 100 pages), full of diagrams, and very informative. The document focuses mainly on the physical changes of the Univeristy's campus. (More trees!) It will be interesting to see how these plans come together over the following years.
  • In the continuing saga off "Clean off the Desk" week, I took the time to read (instead of skim) the University Leadership Council's Redefining the Academic Library. It's a document that looks into the future of the library, and anyone who works at a university or college library should take a gander at the pages. Not all the points made are new or revolutionary, but the whole document leaves you a lot to think about.
  • In lieu magazines on the elliptical, I chose to put a large dent in Blackout. It's still not as bitey as I expected, but I'm enjoying it.I just need to enjoy it faster because, on Friday, I picked up a book I had on hold... and I can't renew it. Sad face.

Comments