Book 26: Catching Fire (Re-Read)

TITLE: Catching Fire
AUTHOR: Suzanne Collins
STARTED: May 20, 2012
FINISHED: May 27, 2012
PAGES: 391
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

THOUGHTS: My thoughts about this book after my re-read are much the same as they were after I originally finished.What I noticed this time around was how deliberative of a character Katniss is. While she does act impetuously (often), when she's give the time to think, she does. It creates an interesting dynamic - one where she seems to be playing a real-life game of chess.

The Boyfriend was not wowed by these books because he did not see character growth. In some ways I agree, but in other ways I think there is growth - at least with Katniss. She still acts the same - but she has a better understanding of the consequences that may follow her actions. So, it's not necessarily "growth" per se, but maturing I saw in her during Catching Fire.

Catching Fire is much less about the games, and more about politics. While I did miss the action of the arena, the set up of the rebellion was fascinating to read again. This book is definitely a transitional book that leads up to Mockingjay. It's not as fast paced, but it does set up the final act well. This is a book that would not stand on its own, but it plays a pivotal role in the series.

This trilogy, I think, is one that may stand the test of time. I'm glad I bought books. I plan on re-reading them again... a long time from now - and I wonder what I will think of them then.

RATING: Re-Read 7/10 [Original rating was 7/10]

Comments