Book 23: The Hunger Games (Re-Read)

TITLE: The Hunger Games
AUTHOR: Suzanne Collins
STARTED: April 23, 2012
FINISHED: May 8, 2012
PAGES: 374
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.

SUMMARY: [From Barnes and Noble] Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival


THOUGHTS: After seeing the movie, I was in the mood to re-read the book. I still love the book, but I was not as seduced with the story as I was during my initial read.

During my first read, I plowed through the book. I just needed to know what came next. The second time around, I took my time. Because of the more leisurely pace, I noticed that the text was very explanatory. I was all about story the first go-round. During my re-read, I was more interested in the writing style, and I was a bit let down. The story is still excellent, but the writing felt simplistic and lacking nuance.

Even with the flaws I noticed in the writing this time, I still loved all the characters and the world Collins created. I bought the books (in a boxed set!), and I still think it was a great purchase. I love the series, but the magic of my initial crush has dissipated.


You can read my initial review here.

RATING: Re-Read 8/10 [Original rating was 9/10]

Comments