Book 16: Rex Libris: I, Librarian

TITLE: Rex Libris: I, Librarian
AUTHOR: James Turner
STARTED: April 21, 2012
FINISHED: April 21, 2012
PAGES: 176
GENRE: Graphic Novels

FIRST SENTENCE: Welcome, adventurous reader, to the first issue of Rex Libris, Public Librarian.

SUMMARY: [From Barnes and Noble] The astonishing story of the incomparable Rex Libris, Head Librarian at Middleton Public Library, and his unending struggle against the forces of ignorance and darkness. Rex travels to the farthest reaches of the galaxy in search of overdue books. Wearing his super thick bottle glasses, and armed with an arsenal of high technology weapons, he strikes fear into recalcitrant borrowers, and can take on virtually any foe from zombies to renegade literary characters. In this first collection of Librarian adventures, Rex must confront the powerful Space Warlord Vaglox and retrieve the overdue Principia Mathematica while an energy manifestation of blood thirsty Vandals attempt to burn down Middleton Library, and all within, to the ground.

THOUGHTS: I loved this book. And, yes, I may be saying that because I am a librarian. I love the idea of some superhero librarian guarding knowledge, tracking down overdue books, and fending off vikings all while saving the world. Yes, that appeals to me.

This is an incredibly smart and punchy graphic novel. It doesn't bother to slow down to explain things to readers (which I love). Rex survives (and tracks down books) using wit and knowledge he's accumulated through the ages. No mild mannered librarian he. I have a soft spot for this bad ass of a librarian. Also, his side kick is a sassy bird who wants to control the world. Yeah, it's that kind of graphic novel.

The dramatic art is an incredibly strong visual which only enhances the oomph of the story. The stark black and white images are full of vivid detail that still manage to convey emotion and power. Loves it!

I heard they're making a movie out of this series - I will be there on opening day if that's really in the works.

RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

Comments

Stefanie said…
Isn't Rex great? There h ave been movie rumors for several years and nothing has yet to materialize. I still have my fingers crossed though :)